EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: PART TIME LEGAL SECRETARY
Description: Legal Secretary – Juvenile Division PART TIME (<28 hours per week).
This position serves at the pleasure of the Judge (at-will employment).
Legal Secretary Job Purpose: Provides administrative assistance and support to Magistrates/Judge and other court staff as directed.
Juvenile Division Legal Secretary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Extensive familiarity with, and ability to use, Outlook, Word and Excel software;
- Extensive familiarity and ability to process court cases, particularly juvenile delinquencies, custody/visitation, traffic, support enforcement modification, and the like;
- Drafting/transcribing of a variety of legal documents (e.g., opinions/decisions, memos, correspondence, subpoenas, amendments, addendums, etc.);
- Responsively and courteously handling all incoming inquiries (whether by phone, mail, email, or office visit) to the Juvenile Division;
- Accurately and efficiently inputting reports, evidence, documents and media associated therewith with cases into a network environment;
- Prepares monthly and yearly statistics and invoices for Magistrate contract with the Bureau of Support;
- Maintaining, filing and accessing all Juvenile Division records;
- Maintaining and updating any requisite Juvenile Division reports, such as Child Support Enforcement Agency reporting;
- Preparing paperwork and maintaining files for all Juvenile Division cases;
- Processing sealing of record requests and orders;
- Subpoenaing and calling off witnesses/officers for any Juvenile Division hearings;
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance;
- Maintaining Juvenile Division Magistrates’ calendars;
- Maintaining the voice mail messaging system for after work hours;
- Maintaining professional appearance of the office;
- Maintaining closed juvenile case files pursuant to the Wayne County Juvenile Court Record Retention Schedule;
- Maintaining a professional relationship with outside agencies;
- Retrieving, opening, sorting, date-stamping, and distributing incoming mail;
- Process and appropriately responding to incoming Juvenile Division emails;
- Retrieving and reviewing case files for following day’s docket;
- Copying and sending facsimiles of documents to appropriate requestors;
- Performing duties for the Court as necessary;
- Meeting all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions; and
- Any other duties which the Judge, Magistrates, and/or Court Administrator may assign.
Skills/Qualifications: Reporting Skills, Transcription Skills, Administrative Writing Skills, Microsoft Office Skills, Managing Processes, Organization, Analyzing Information, Professionalism, Verbal Communication.
Please send a Wayne County Employment Application (can be downloaded from Wayne County http://www.wayneohio.org/sites/default/files/Employment%20Application%20rev1.doc or obtained from the Wayne County Commissioner’s Office, 428 W. Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio), resume and cover letter stating your ability to address the responsibilities of this position to: Wayne County Juvenile Court, ATTN.: Katherine Gallagher, Court Administrator/Staff Attorney, 107 West Liberty Street, Wooster, OH 44691, no later than Friday, December 16, 2016. No phone calls or emails, please.
The information contained on this web site is not legal advice, nor should it substitute for the assistance of a qualified attorney. Good legal assistance can speed up the court process and prevent costly legal errors.