EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Probate Court Law Clerk
The Wayne County Probate Court is seeking to fill an immediate opening for Law Clerk.
Under the supervision of the Judge, the Law Clerk performs legal research and writing, communicates with the public, attorneys, court staff, law enforcement, social services, and other government agencies and litigants (“Court Users”) in person, by telephone and by written communication, reviews case files for accuracy prior to sending files to the Judge, receives pleadings and other documents, computerized, digitized or microfilmed records of the court cases, and performs related work on guardianship, adoption, civil action, and other case types as assigned. Responsible for researching law sources such as statutes, ordinances, judicial decisions, legal articles, etc. Preparing legal documents such as orders, entries, opinions, and pleadings, for review, approval, and use by the Judge/Magistrates. May be responsible to assist in the development of processes to comport with guardianship laws and be willing to train Court Users on the same. May receive, disburse, and accurately account for public funds in the form of fines, court costs and fees.
Reports to the Probate Supervisor.
- Completion of one year of Law School and currently enrolled, or a law school graduate, or equivalent experience;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of the legal system, particularly of civil procedure;
- Knowledge and experience conducting legal research, particularly using Westlaw;
- Knowledge of the types and methods of preparation of legal documents and experience with legal writing;
- Paralegal certificate or top 50% of class preferred, or a J.D.;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions properly the first time and consistently thereafter;
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to effectively and sensitively handle communications with court users;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with attorneys, Court Users, and Court personnel;
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Exchange, and database/spreadsheet usage.
Status: Full or part time; the Court will develop a schedule with the proper candidate.
Hourly Rate: Commensurate with experience. Benefits available with full time employment (>30 hours per week).
Physical and Sensory Requirements: With or without reasonable accommodation, the law clerk must be able to operate a computer, telephone, office machines, and must be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
Applications: Submit a resume in writing by regular U.S. Mail, with cover letter, which must be received on or before September 30, 2016, to the Wayne County Probate and Juvenile Court, Attn: Law Clerk Position, 107 W. Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio 44691. You must complete a Wayne County Employment Application and submit it with your resume in order to be considered for the position of Law Clerk.
Wayne County Employment Application (required submission with all employment opportunities) may be found here: http://www.wayneohio.org/employment-opportunities. All positions in the Juvenile and Probate Court are at-will. No telephone inquiries, please. Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview.
THE WAYNE COUNTY PROBATE AND JUVENILE COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Date Posted: September 20, 2016
Filing Deadline: September 30, 2016
The information contained on this web site is not legal advice, nor should it substitute for the assistance of a qualified attorney. Good legal assistance can speed up the court process and prevent costly legal errors.